Stay ahead with support services that range from academic to safety and security.
Get a head start!
Teaching staff and student learning advisors are on hand to provide you with a range of academic support and help you improve your skills with study structure, technology, maths, English language and more.
All Griffith College lecturers and tutors are available for face-to-face student consultation on campus for approximately one hour per week per class. If, while undertaking studies at the College, you experience difficulties with a particular course, you are strongly encouraged to meet with your lecturer/tutor in the first instance during their consultation time.
We have academic advisors available throughout the trimester to help you with assignment drafts, research assistance, essay structuring and, writing and referencing assistance. Just make an appointment at reception for a time that suits you.
Study Skills Workshop
Our academic advisors run a number of information sessions and workshops throughout the trimester to help you to develop study skills such as time management, academic writing skills and examination techniques.
Learning With Technology
Teaching and learning is constantly evolving and Griffith College is keeping pace by introducing a number of innovative resources in the classroom. Online learning management, video lecture capture and online textbooks are all available. To take advantage of this, you are encouraged to use your own laptop, so plan to bring one with you or purchase one when you arrive.
The College has also integrated new learning techniques, such as flipped and blended learning, to help deliver content in a way that is engaging and develops collaboration and communication skills.
GET A HEAD START on settling in
Counselling and Wellbeing Support
Student Counsellors with experience in specific aspects of emotional well-being are available to offer guidance on any aspect of life that might be causing you stress or concern.
Welfare support from counsellors are available via online booking:
- Mount Gravatt campus Rebecca Rylands
- Gold Coast campus Steven Hoskin
- After hours CRISIS number: 1300785442
Appointments can be made concerning issues such as:
- Student safety
- Loneliness, homesickness
- Personal relationships, harassment
- Your studies and academic difficulties
- Financial problems
- Personal trauma
- Employment options
- Concerns regarding friends and family
- Personal health
- Legal difficulties
- Reporting sexual harassment and/or sexual assault
As a member of the Griffith Community, you can also access Griffith University’s counselling and wellbeing service and some additional student services. If you require further assistance or encounter problems, the Overseas Students Ombudsman website contains information for students and private providers in English and 21 other languages.
Whether it’s your welfare or your psychological help, or you need counselling or anything like that, they’ve got everything available for you.
Health and Medical Services
Healthy living is an essential part of successful study. We have services to promote positive life choices and deal with any medical issues that you may encounter. The Griffith University Health Service located on the Nathan and Gold Coast campuses offers bulk-billing for medical consultations for international students with a current OSHC policy and for local students covered by Medicare.
The health service provides:
- Free nursing consultations
- Emergency and first aid treatment
- Preventative medical treatment
- Treatment of ongoing/recurring conditions
- Routine pap smears
- Sexual health advice including testing and treatment
- Immunisations and overseas travel vaccinations and advice
- Referrals for x-rays, specialist treatment and ultrasounds
- ECG recording
- Pregnancy testing and shared care
- Confidential needle exchange and support program
- Health information
- Ancillary health services include psychiatry, optometry, massage and acupuncture
Should you require pathology tests, nurses are able to perform these on campus.
We are committed to providing safe and inclusive communities, on-campus and online, which are free from harassment, bullying, discrimination and assault. We encourage all members of the Griffith community to call out, report and seek support if disrespectful behaviours occur.
- For Police : immediately phone 000
- For Campus Security : phone 1800 800 707 or see campus security
- Student counselling and wellbeing : see above section on ‘Counselling and wellbeing support’
- Crisis support (24 hours / 7 days): phone 1300 785 442
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) : phone 1800 818 728 or visit website and mention you are part of ‘Navitas’
- Report or disclose online (can be done anonymously)
The safety of all our students, staff and visitors is paramount to us. We have around-the-clock, on-campus security services to ensure you always get the assistance you need, when you need it.
Security can also arrange a Security Escort to walk you to your car, tram, bus or across campus.
In an emergency
Call Fire, Ambulance, and Police on 000 or 112 from a mobile.
Call Griffith Health Services at:
- Nathan on (07) 3735 7299 or
- Gold Coast on (07) 5552 8794
|Gold Coast||Academic 1 (G01) Room 3.39||(07) 5552 7777|
|Mt Gravatt||Entrance to Information Services (M23)||(07) 3735 6866|