Skip to Main Content

Get a head start on finding all the answers

Get a head start!

GET A HEAD START on gaining your degree

Below is a collection of answers to frequently asked questions by Australian students. We recommend you scroll through them all as there may even be some questions you did not think of!

If your question is not below please click on the chat box ‘We are Here’ on your screen during business hours, or email us at


General study questions

Why should I study your diploma rather than the VET one?

We offer a “higher education diploma”, which is a higher level than a VET diploma. With us, you’re studying bachelor subjects in year one. That means you get the support to learn how to be a Uni student with us –how to research, study and write at a university level. Your end rank will be higher with us than with a VET qualification. You know what credit you will get this way, whereas often you wont know what credit your VET diploma gives you until you apply to university. In most cases, completion of our diploma will take you into year two of your Bachelor.

Why is the price different to university or a TAFE diploma?

As above. Plus as a private institution we invest a lot in greater student support (academic and welfare), smaller class sizes and preparing students for success in their tertiary education.

What should I do if I want to see if I can get directly into the university before applying to College?

We would suggest that you call Griffith University to discuss and possibly submit an application. If you are not eligible for direct entry, you would be referred to Griffith College as an alternative. Toll free number for Griffith University: 1800 154 055

Can I choose class times to suit my personal schedule?

Early enrolment opens approximately 3 weeks prior to class commencement. This gives you the opportunity to log on to your student portal and choose your classes. You will have some options of different times, but please be aware that classes will generally run between 9am and 6pm Monday to Friday.

How long after I apply will I know if I'm accepted?

If you are applying via QTAC please check the next offer round dates – your official offer from Griffith College will be sent within 2 business days of your acceptance on QTAC. If you are applying directly, please allow 10-14 business days. Please be aware that Trimester 1 (March) is our largest intake so there may be increased time delays.

I know I want to do something in Health / Science / Engineering, but aren’t sure exactly what yet?

You study first year subjects, which are often common in many programs in the same faculty, so you might find a subject you love and can apply to change your bachelor to follow that path. You can apply to change your pathway program during your diploma studies, or apply for the stand-alone diploma and once graduated use that to apply for the bachelor. We offer increased flexibility to exit at a diploma, have a qualification while still studying.

What happens when I finish my diploma? Do I move straight into the bachelor?

If you initially received a packaged offer, then so long as you complete your diploma and receive the required GPA (usually a 4.0 but higher for some more competitive programs – check your offer conditions) you would progress directly into the Griffith University Bachelor program.

School leaver / Year 12 applications

I didn’t study an ATAR pathway, how do I get into university? I’m thinking of dropping my ATAR pathway.

Our entry requirement is only a Queensland Certificate of Education (QCE) or a Certificate III, there’s no need for an ATAR or to be on an ATAR pathway.

I think I might fail a subject in Unit 3 or 4, what can I do?

Studying a Griffith College diploma will allow you to meet the prerequisites or assumed knowledge requirements for your bachelor program. There’s no ATAR needed, so if you don’t do as well as you expected, we have an option for you. Studying at Griffith College will mean that you have more support services and more time with your lecturers and trainers when it comes time to study a subject where you might have failed or struggled with a Unit.

What are the entry requirements for high school leavers?

Year 12 graduates are admitted regardless of their ATAR results and their ATAR eligibility (i.e., those not on an ATAR pathway can be eligible). Applicants with a recent secondary education (in the last 5 years) receive guaranteed entry when they have obtained a:

  • A Queensland Certificate of Education (QCE), or
  • Passes in at least three (3) general/applied subjects from Year 12, or the equivalent from any state or territory, or
  • a Certificate III or higher
I'm worried I might not get enough QCE points to get a certificate. What should I do?

We have a few different options for how you can prove you have completed year 12:

  • Gaining a Queensland Certificate of Education
  • Grades of sound or higher in units 3 and 4 of three subjects
  • Completion of a Certificate III or higher
  • Receiving an ATAR (regardless of the level)

If you don’t reach any of these, please reach out and we will look at any options we can to assist you.

I’m doing Essential English, is that okay?

Yes, you can meet our entry requirements with Essential English. If you are an international student you will need to have studied year 11 and 12 in Australia and have passed English, otherwise you may need to sit an IELTS exam.

QTAC applications and processes

Do I have to apply with QTAC?

If you are a recent high school leaver, then yes you would need to apply via QTAC. If you are applying for multiple courses or for other institutions then applying with just one application via QTAC will streamline the process for you.

We do recommend to use QTAC on a case by case basis, so if you haven’t studied in a while we may direct you to QTAC again to streamline the process.

I accepted my offer with QTAC, but have not received anything from Griffith College - what's happening?

You should also have received an official Letter of Offer from Griffith College sent directly to your email address. Please also check your junk/spam folder. You will need to print, read and sign the Acceptance of Offer/s for your Diploma and Bachelor and send back to us via return email. Scan or photo of your acceptance is fine.

If you can’t find your official offer email please ask our team via the website chat or phone and we will resend.

What are my response options on QTAC?

When QTAC notifies you that you have an offer available in an offer round, you can either accept or reject. There is also an option to remain available for future offer rounds for any preferences HIGHER than the one you were offered. If you receive an offer from Griffith College but are also hopeful of a direct Griffith University offer, you can use this option to receive an offer from us while you wait to see the outcome of your other preferences.

You can then accept the Griffith College offer we send via email at any time.

When will my ATAR be released?

The 2020 ATAR was released at 9am on 19 December 2020.

How do I respond to my offer on QTAC?
  1. Log in to Application Services.
  2. Under My Application, select View or Edit.
  3. Under Offers, select View offer details.
  4. Select the Respond to offer link.
    • Conditional, with no change of preference.
    • Conditional, with change of preference
    • For each of the response options you can accept, reject or defer your offer.

Griffith College flexible learning

We have a structured approach to learning that is designed to support your success. Study at Griffith College is all about:

  • Connecting with learning content before class in your own time,
  • Collaborating with your teachers and peers during timetabled learning experiences, and
  • Consolidating your learning after class by completing learning activities and assessments in your own time.
Learn more about flexible learning

Enrolment / commencement

When can I see my timetable? How many hours per week?

Each trimester the timetable looks a little different depending on the programs and student numbers. We open early enrolment approximately 3 weeks prior to the commencement of classes, then you can choose your subjects and timetable. In terms of hours per week, you would be looking at approximately 4 hours of contact time per subject per week – so a full-time load of 4 subjects would mean 16 hours contact time (lectures, tutorials, workshops) plus additional study and assignment time.

I've applied and accepted, is there anything I should do or any reading I can start before the trimester begins?

Once you receive information regarding logging in and accessing the Digital Campus, you can start familiarising yourself with the platform. Study Toolkits and course information will be populated in the weeks leading up to the start of the course and this can help you get ready for study.

When is Orientation?

Orientation will be held the week prior to the first week of classes. Further information about exact days and times you are expected to attend will be sent out to you closer to the start of each trimester. Check for key dates here.

FEE-HELP and payment processes

What is FEE-HELP?

FEE-HELP is a loan for students enrolled in fee paying places. These places are not subsidised by the Australian Government but eligible students may use a FEE-HELP loan to pay their tuition fees.

Am I eligible for FEE-HELP?

You can only get FEE-HELP if you meet the citizenship and residency requirements. You must be either:

  • an Australian citizen who will complete at least one unit of your course of study in Australia
  • a NZ SCV holder who meets the long-term residency requirements and who is resident in Australia for the duration of your study
  • a permanent humanitarian visa holder who is resident in Australia for the duration of your study
  • a permanent visa holder who is undertaking bridging study for overseas-trained professionals and who is resident in Australia for the duration of your study. For more information visit Study Assist’s FEE-HELP page.  
How do I apply for FEE-HELP?

After receiving your offer from Griffith College, you will see a Payment options page. On that page please choose “Fee-Help” and shortly after you will receive a link to the eCAF form from our Finance team.

Can I get FEE-HELP if I am not an Australian citizen but I have Permanent Residency?

You are eligible for Domestic (non-international) fees but not FEE-HELP.

Can I get FEE-HELP if I am from New Zealand?

Yes if you hold a NZ SCV and meet certain requirements. For more details click here.

Can I get FEE-HELP if I study the Foundation Program?

Unfortunately FEE-HELP does not apply to our Foundation program, so you would need to pay upfront or via a payment plan. Talk to us for more information as there are usually more study options and pathways available for Domestic students, you may not need to study Foundation. Alternatively you can read our mature age entry options.


Are there extra application fees?

If you apply directly with us, there is no fee to apply. If you apply via QTAC, with multiple preference options, QTAC will charge you a fee.

Can I go onto a payment plan?

Yes, please speak to our Finance team for further information.

How much do I pay per trimester?

The amount payable per trimester depends on how many subjects you are taking. For example, the total amount for our Diploma of Health Care is $23,500 (DOM 2021 fees) and is eight subjects. So the cost for each subject would be $2,937.50.

What is the difference between HECS-HELP and FEE-HELP?

HECS-HELP is the loan program used by public universities. When you move onto Griffith University you will access HECS-HELP if you are eligible. FEE-HELP is the loan program used by private institutions. Both FEE-HELP and HECS-HELP fall under the Australian Government Study Assist program.

What is a "USI" and how do I get one?

If you have previously completed a Certificate or Diploma in the last 5 years, you will already have a USI. If not, you can apply for one. Find all information on the USI website.

Mature age applications

I didn't finish senior year at school, but I have done a Certificate or Diploma, am I eligible to apply?

Yes! If your qualification or Year 12 was completed less than 5 years ago, all you need when you apply is a copy of your qualification.

If you completed this more than 5 years ago you can either apply via QTAC or apply using the work experience criteria on our direct application.

For more information on how to apply check our How to apply page.

I have not studied in a long time, can I get in?

Yes you can if you have the following (see entry requirements). Don’t be nervous about returning to study as we have many students who are in a similar position. Griffith College is the perfect way to commence your higher education study with smaller classes, more one-on-one time with the academic team and additional academic and welfare support readily available.

I have not finished high school - can I get in?

Yes. See Mature age students application process. 

Alternatively, you could study our Foundation program which is equivalent to Australian Year 12. If you have completed year 11 and have either two years work experience or a certificate III or higher you are eligible to study as per our Mature Age application process. If you are leaving year 11 this year, you must have completed a certificate III or higher and must be 17 years of age.

Back to Top