What to bring
Getting your bags packed.
Get a head start!
Generally, students at Griffith College wear comfortable, casual clothes around the campus. Shorts or jeans and a light shirt are perfect for the warm weather we usually enjoy in Queensland. It’s always worth having something slightly warmer in your luggage, just in case there’s a sudden change in the weather. In winter, the nights can be noticeably cooler, so have something warm to sleep in. A lightweight, waterproof jacket is a good idea too. And just in case you’re invited to a more formal event, a smart pair of trousers and a collared shirt will have you ready to impress.
Most importantly, don’t worry if you discover that you’ve forgotten to bring something with you. There are plenty of shops nearby if you need some unexpected essentials.
- short-sleeve shirts
- long-sleeve shirts
- jeans, pants and shorts
- rain jacket and umbrella
- hat or cap for sun protection
- casual shoes, sandals and/or flip flops
- dress shoes
- running shoes
- sleep wear
- swimming suit
- mobile phone
- phone charger and backup battery pack
- comb or hairbrush
- travel plug/adapter
- pocket notepad and pen
- pictures of your family and friends
- travel-sized toiletries (you can purchase full-sized items in Australia).
The most important documents for international travel are your passport and student visa. You should also carry important bank documents and copies of any agreements for accommodation.
It’s a good idea to have some Australian currency with you when you first arrive. That way, if there are any issues with your bank cards, you’ll have another option. $100AUD is a satisfactory amount to cover basic expenses in the first few days. Australian currency is available in $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100 notes, as well as 5-cent, 10-cent, 20-cent, 50-cent, 1-dollar and 2-dollar coins. Read the values carefully before handing cash over (the $2-dollar coin is smaller than the $1-dollar coin!).
There are no limits to the amount of money you can bring in to Australia, but anything over $10,000AUD must be declared.
If you’d rather wait until you land, Brisbane International Airport offers currency exchange services.
Before you leave, make sure that your phone is compatible with Australian services and is unlocked to international providers.
It’s best to purchase a new mobile phone SIM card when you arrive in Australia, as using an international phone number will have high costs. Many phone plans include international calls and every provider offers a range of data plans that you can use to access online sites. There are two types of mobile phone accounts you can choose from:
- Prepaid – allows you to control how much you spend on calls. Prepaid SIM cards and recharge vouchers are sold in many shops, such as newsagents and convenience stores. Aldi, Coles and Woolworths supermarkets all have their own mobile plans that you can purchase over the counter. There are no set contract periods, so you can change providers at any time.
- Contract (Postpaid) – If you will be using your mobile a lot, a contract could work out cheaper for you. There are many mobile phone providers in Australia. Once you choose your phone plan, you will pay a fixed price per month for a certain amount of calls, text messages and data.
Take time to research the providers with the best customer ratings before committing to a phone plan.
Once you’re enrolled at your campus, you’ll have free Wi-Fi access, so you’ll be able to use messaging apps on your phone at no cost.
To make an international call from within Australia, dial:
- International access code (0011)
- The country code
- The area code (if required)
- The local phone number
Example: 0011 91 xxxxxxxxx
It is usually cheaper to use a pre-paid international calling card as they offer cheaper rates. Alternatively, you can keep in touch with family and friends overseas by using many apps and online services such as Skype, Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp.
In Australia, electrical devices operate on 240v. You should bring a travel adaptor to make sure that your laptop and phone chargers are compatible when you first arrive. Griffith College provides free Wi-Fi for students across all campuses. Once you have enrolled, you will be able to log in with your Griffith Single Sign-On.